Mom calls – she needs money as in yesterday. She is in Mbala, Northern Province. You have the money but you are stuck in the office in Midrand, it is 2:25pm and you have a meeting in 5 minutes… This is a situation many Diaspora Zambians have faced (or at least similar). For some it’s a sick brother, others an uncle that just passed away and needs to be buried, or maybe a daughter that hurt herself and needs to go to the hospital – the situations might differ but the issue is always the same – a loved one in a tight spot who needs your urgent help.
Don’t panic, there are more options available to you than you think!
Step 1 – signing up to use Mukuru
Send a WhatsApp text to +278 6001 8555 or from any phone, dial the USSD code *130*567# and follow the prompts. You can also sign up online using the quick sign up form via mukuru.com
Step 2 – creating your order
You can create your order via the same WhatsApp number (+278 6001 8555), using the USSD (*130*567#) number, or by visiting the mobisite. If you wish, you can also call the call centre on +278 6001 8555 for further assistance.
Step 3 – paying for your order and collecting your money
Once you’ve created your order, visit any one of our partners below to pay for your order. All you’ll need is your order number.
Mukuru has partnered with various stores to make the pay in process easier:
- Pay in partners: Your Mukuru Money Card, Mukuru and Inter Africa Branches, Pick n Pay, Spar, Shoprite, Boxer, Checkers, PEP, Kazang, Ackermans, TopitUp, Usave, Makro, Blue Approved Shoprite Wicode card top-up and FNB via EFT.
Cash collections are instant and there are more than 1000 collection points in Zambia your loved ones can use. As soon as you pay for your order, your loved ones will receive an SMS with the order details which they can use to collect the cash in Kwacha.
- Pay out partners: Zoona, Inter Africa / Zamica, Bureau de Change, The Bed Shop.
Download the Feb 2020 edition
Download links (free) – You now have the option to download the Magazine in HD (bigger but super crystal clear kinda nice) or Low Res (smaller but still part of the cool crowd nice).
Step by step screenshots for using the Mukuru app to send money to Zambia
You can send money to Zambia using these channels:
- WhatsApp – Yes, WhatsApp! Place your orders by simply sending ‘Hi’ to +27 86 001 8555 and follow the prompts (in SA and Zambia).
- Mukuru website/mobi site – place orders online 24/7 by visiting www.mukuru.com. Pay with your Mukuru card or at your nearest pay-in partner.
- USSD – Place orders via USSD by dialling *130*567# (in SA) or *855# (in Zambia) from any mobile phone. Pay with your Mukuru card or at your nearest pay-in partner (see point 2 above).
- Call centre – call the call centre on +27 86 001 8555 and place your order over the phone.