The Department of National Registration, Passport and Citizenship says following the introduction of Dual Citizenship under the Constitution of Zambia (Amendment No. 2 of 2016) is pleased to advise the Zambians living in South Africa as follows:
- Under Article 39(1) “A citizen shall not lose citizenship by acquiring citizenship of another country”.
Such persons will be required to notify the Board of the acquisition of that other citizenship by completing and submitting Notice of acquisition of Citizenship of another country form (Form VI) in accordance with Section 9(1) of Statutory Instrument No. 50 of 2017.
- Under Article 39(2) “A citizen who ceased to be a citizen before the commencement of this Constitution as a result of acquiring the citizenship of another country shall be entitled to apply as prescribed to the Citizenship Board of Zambia for Citizenship and the Citizenship Board of Zambia shall bestow citizenship on that person.
- For persons who wish to bestow their Zambian Citizenship, the procedure is as follows:
- Complete Bestowal of Citizenship applications form (Form VII)
- Pay prescribed processing fee of three hundred Zambian Kwacha (K300) equivalent.
- Mission to forward duly completed form to Passport Office, Lusaka. Note: To attach copies of their previous passports and National Registration Cards.
- Upon citizenship Board approval, letters of approval will be sent back to the Mission.
- Applicants will be required to complete an oath of allegiance and pay five thousand Kwacha (K5, 000) equivalent for the Certificate of Bestowal.
- Oath of allegiance and receipt for payment should be forwarded to Passport Office, Lusaka for issuance of Certificate of Bestowal.
- Certificate of Bestowal will be forwarded to the Mission for onward transmission to the applicants.
Republic of South Africa